Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Feeling full...

No, I'm not feeling full from food...ok, that's a lie, I am. We ate at Cotton Patch tonight to celebrate Meme's birthday, and yes, I'm full. Still. But it was SO very good. And always nice to see everyone. Although I was unsure as to how the night would end, as Meme almost had a heart attack when the servers came out singing "Happy Birthday" to her. But she managed. She's tough. :)

Michelle surprised us yesterday by seeing if she could come down and spend the weekend with us. It's a change from how things usually go, as she's usually very opposed to coming down at all, but after sorting things out (i.e. I had to go to Cedar Hill twice yesterday to pick-up/take back a child for a visit and had no idea when I would get back to then go up to Denton), she had a friend bring her down. After cooking a dinner of tortellini with ground turkey and mushrooms (yum) and double chocolate cookies for dessert, we all just relaxed and enjoyed the quiet of our Friday evening. I love nights where you don't have anything in particular to do or anywhere in particular to be. I read for awhile, showed my sister some plans I had done for some renovating we're planning around our place, and watched a little TV with my sister and husband before falling asleep. A nice Friday evening.

This morning I woke up about 8 (oh how nice to sleep until 8!) and made some homemade whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes for everyone. We sat around, eating and discussing the day, which included a planned trip to IKEA for some ideas on renovations. We got dressed and left about 10 and didn't get there until 11:30 or so...I had no idea it took that long to get there! But it was fun to get some reading done and just enjoy being in loved ones company. When we got to IKEA, Brandon and I had already formulated a plan for what we were looking for and we found some great stuff along with some fantastic ideas for items we can make ourselves! Michelle had never been there, so she was just in shock of so much stuff in one place. We know the feeling. This was only our second time there.

And yes, this all brings me to my original point in the title. Brandon and I have been reading this book called "The Shrewd Christian." Wait. It's not a negative thing. (or maybe you didn't think that, but I sure did when I heard the title at first) It's this WONDERFUL book that talks about money and how to get the most out of life while spending the least. It has brought such a wonderful perspective on money to our lives! It focuses so much on the fact that how you spend is important. Jesus spoke on money quite a bit, as well as the fact that money and how it should be handled is spoke on more than just about any other topic in the Bible. I won't go into all the details of the book, but I strongly recommend reading it. It speaks of ways to live frugally (in monetary terms) while becoming debt-free (VERY important!) and truly enjoying life. We recently decided to stay where we live currently for a few more years as a result of studying the differences, benefits, etc. and are now looking at renovating our place to make it feel more homey and more like ours. But we're also seeing how many things we can do ourselves, and how having projects to do together is such a benefit to our marriage as well as to our checkbook! We've been talking and praying so much this week and it has just been such a blessing to see how our view of things is shifting. We're realizing what we want will not be completed in a day, but that it will be a process, but it is one we are both commiting to see through.

Well, my body's needing its rest and I have to wake up early to make breakfast, so I better sign off, but please keep our plans and the plans God's laying down for us in your prayers. Oh, and please pray for my sister, Michelle. While that issue is too much (to write and emotionally) to get into here, just know I ask for prayers for her and prayers for Brandon and me in relation to her.

Night!

1 comment:

rachelprice said...

The rocking chair is all yours once your place gets all renovated! We cleaned out this weekend and though it is not fun, it does make you feel better once it is over!